Friday, October 15, 2010

Easy No-Sew Fleece Blanket

Today was a great day - a regular work day but it involved some crafts!! October is United Way month and the department I work for has a goal to raise a lot of money. One of the ways of doing this is raffling off some gift baskets. Everyone was asked what they might contribute, and the idea is that it will mostly be homemade contributions of some sort. Last year I knit some dishcloths and this year I volunteered to make a cozy fleece blanket.

As I was working on it today I realized it is such an easy craft I should make a short tutorial. With the holiday season upon us, perhaps this is an idea for a gift you can try out.

All credit for knowing how to do this goes to my dear friend Adam - he gave me one of these for Christmas in 2004 (I think?) and it has been a favourite ever since and contributed to many warm winter naps!

Here goes:

Supplies:
2 pieces of fleece - as big as you want the blanket to be
(I actually used two fleece throw blankets for this project - it was cheaper!)
Scissors

How to:
1. Lay out your 2 pieces of fleece so they are matched up with each other. Right sides out.

2. Start to cut slits in both pieces, about one inch wide and 2 inches long. Go all the way around the blanket.  
3. Tie these slits together - one from each piece of fleece. Two knots will do the trick. The fleece will start to gather together a bit, keep on going all the way around.


Note: because I used 2 pre-made fleece throws there was an embroidered edge around them that looked strange, so we just cut it off.

4. Ta da! You have a super cozy, double layer fleece blanket. 

A big thank you goes out to Victoria for helping me out :) Here's hoping it goes to a happy home in the raffle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment