Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dave's Scarf





My fiance, Dave, likes to wear a hat - he keeps his hair short and when the weather gets cool, he does not leave the house without one. Last fall, he found this  pattern and asked me to make it for him. It took 3 tries to get the sizing right, but since it's been finished it is his favourite. It's a merino blend and toasty warm! I was especially proud of myself as it was my first attempt at cables - and they were so much easier than I thought they would be.

So of course once the hat was done, the conversation started about a matching scarf. I found this Patons pattern that seemed great. I think I started it in January or February sometime but it was slow going. Although not a very complicated pattern, all the knit/purl switching around plus the cable and having to count rows made it take longer than most projects and to be honest, I got bored with it. The warm weather came and I put it aside to work on a baby blanket (which I really need to write about!). So I picked it back up in September and have finally finished it - in time for Dave to wear it for the cold weather. I am so pleased that it is done!


2 comments:

  1. LOVE them!! I need to do cables....yikes! I'm scared :-)

    Thanks for posting to Fibers on Friday....I hope to see you back next week with the baby blanket :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh please do not be afraid of cables!! I really, really was and it's not that hard. I might recommend trying with a scarf only because knitting in the round with dpns for the hat and learning cables felt like a lot to hold.

    I have not done this pattern but I've been checking it out - might be a good one to start with?
    http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=3111

    ReplyDelete