Thursday, November 11, 2010

Something for Me

After making Dave's hat last week I thought it was time I finally used the yarn I bought over a year ago to make myself a hat and scarf.

The hat only took me 4 hours to make and I did it in one evening! Using this pattern and James C. Brett Marble Chunky yarn here is what I got:


I wore the hat for a couple days and realized it was a bit breezy around the ears. Considering it's not even snowy here yet and it will get a lot colder as the winter goes on I thought some modifications needed to be made. Here's my addition to the pattern :

I sewed a band of sweatshirt material into the base of the hat - and now it is so toasty warm!

I am loving the hat and have already received so many compliments. The pattern's a keeper.

I couldn't decide what scarf pattern to do - but after trying a few things I have settled on good old ribs and here's the start of it.


My new accessories make me almost excited for the cold weather to come! 



5 comments:

  1. Very nice! The added sweatshirt material is brilliant! Not only for a drafty hat, but for a itchy hat! did you hand stitch it?

    Thanks for linking up to Fibers on Friday this week....hope to see you back real soon! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth, I did hand stitch it - and it looks very homemade - you can see all my stitches (and that they are not always even!). But I am not too worried about that since it's on the inside. I would recommend doing it for any itchy hats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea--and a brilliant addition to the breezy hat. ;-)

    I can't wait to see the finished scarf. The yarn looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heidi,

    Thanks for offering up your giraffe pattern. I would appreciate a copy! I don't really feel like knitting another bib, but I'll pass it on to Amy (my cousin) and put her to work!!

    my email is swandiva at hotmail dot [calm]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I can't knit but I've been eyeing up a crocheted version (http://simplebeans.blogspot.com/2009/01/durango-robins-egg-my-new-hat.html) for a LONG time now. Lining it is a brilliant idea!!

    ReplyDelete