Saturday, June 25, 2011

Candy with Katie


Katie and I have known each other since we were 5 years old. We went to school together until grade 2 when my parents moved to the big city. We were childhood pen pals and March break visiting friends until University when we decided to be roommates. Through many hilarious times together we have kept the friendship going and this spring embarked on one of the funnest things we'd ever done together!

Katie has started an incredible candy company. Check it out - but a word of warning - you might drool. http://www.candybykatie.com/

Shortly after I got engaged Katie called me up with a hugely generous offers - she wanted to do our wedding favors and have us be Candy by Katie's first wedding. What an honour. I was so excited to see what my creative friend had in store and I knew whatever she had would be such a special addition to my wedding day. Katie brought many samples to show me but I just fell in love with the chocolate lollipops - there was no question this is what we had to have!

 And then I got to thinking that I'm crafty - wouldn't it be fun if I could help make them? Which brings us to
"Chocolate Day"! I joined Katie in her kitchen and we got to work. Katie had the chocolate moulds all ready to go so we got to make the fondant topping to each lollipop. As Katie says "fondant is like play dough for kids" - so much fun. We rolled and cookie cut and added embellisments. I jumped right in and was so thrilled when my first lollipop was ready:


I cannot express in just these few words how creative Katie is. She had great ideas for 10 unique lollipops so each person at the table would get a different one. While our wedding colours were green and yellow, we decided that a colourful spread would be more cheerful at the wedding.  I just fell in love with the designs and colours.


(okay I know that's only 9 - one is missing!)

We kept on going, and pretty soon had a good majority of them done before we ran out of time for that day.



Check out the real brains behind this - not only is she candy maker extraordinaire - she has some super photography skills!


In addition to how gorgeous and tasty these lollipops are, I was really excited with Katie's idea to double these as a guide to help people know where to sit. Katie took this on and worked tirelessly to make it just perfect for me. Check out the final product.


What an absolutely stunning display.


Thank you Katie - not only for this special addition to my wedding day but also the amazing memories while making them!




No comments:

Post a Comment